When it was worst, she ordered large boxes of sweat protection. It did not help.
Malin has suffered from hyperhidrosis, extreme sweating, for almost all of his life. In the end, there was a botox that helped her.
“My life has gone from being anxious to absolutely wonderful,” she says.
Malin Andersson has had extreme sweating ever since the early teens. She was sweating heavily from the armpits even though she did not struggle at all.
“It was anxiety disorder and I was often nervous and it in turn made me sweat even more,” she says.
She contacted the hospital, but the doctors said it was quite normal to sweat, that it was hormonal and belonged to the teens.
“I was at the doctor several times, but nobody took me seriously,” she says.
The school walk became a pain because Malin always planned how she would dress because the sweat stains would not be visible.
“I always had dark clothes in several layers. But I felt so sick when the fabric became discolored and stiff during the day. In the summer I could sit in a thick knitted sweater, because the sweat just passed.
Hyperhidrosis can affect your entire life
Eventually, the whole life revolved around how she would do because the sweat would not be visible.
“I had to adapt everyday after the sweating. I had change, wipes and deodorant. I even ordered large cartons of sweat protection, which were like a protective cover about which I taped in the armpits. But it did not work, it was clumsy and slipped around the armpits, says Malin.
And it was only worse the more affluent Malin became. Eventually it became a vicious circle.
“It was mentally hard and anxious. I even thought about killing the student ball, which I had normally looked forward to. I used the “absolutely dry” solution available at the pharmacy, but of it I got big blisters. But rather blisters in the armpits than sweat, I thought. Then I was sitting under the whole bale under the arms.
A couple of years ago, Malin saw an advertisement sign on the bus at a clinic in Stockholm which, with the help of botox injections, could eliminate sweating. The clinic is called Stockholm Tandläkargrupp and it helped her achieve great things in her life.
“I went straight home and googlade, and then I filled in the application form for how long I had sweated and how it affected my everyday life. I was granted it, free trial of botox. It was a great feeling to finally find something that might work, she says.
Malin escaped her extreme sweating
On the day of treatment, Malin was quite nervous, but expectant. She went down from Helsingborg to Copenhagen.
“I was well prepared. I had googlat everything about the treatment. At the clinic I only felt a big relief when my trouble was finally taken seriously. And it did not hurt at all. The treatment of botox in the armpits only took a few minutes, says Malin.
Effects come fast. The following day Malin had no sweats at all.
“Even when I was training, I was dry in the armpits,” she says smoothly.
So far, Malin has done four treatments at about five months apart and has recently paid for himself.
– It’s costly but it’s worth it. I would pay anything to avoid being soaked by sweat. My life is so much better now. Just being able to dress as I want is absolutely wonderful.
SO DOES THE TREATMENT WITH BOTULINUM TOXIN, BOTOX, WORK
Consultation. Prior to treatment, a consultation focuses on the disease, to rule out any underlying causes and to develop a treatment plan.
- Injection. The areas that the patient sweats out of is injected into a rut pattern with a drop of botulinum toxin. Some areas, like armpits, usually do not need to be stunned. Other areas, such as hands and feet, are almost always stunned. The small drops of botulinum toxin injected into the skin with a thin needle spreads circularly and are taken up in the “sweat nerve”, which can not send out the signal substance to the sweat glands.
- Minutes up to half an hour. Not seldom are treated several areas at the same time. The injections take from a few minutes to about half an hour depending on the amount of surface treated.
- Quick effect. Even after a couple of days 90 percent will be sweating completely. Remaining patients have insufficient effects and are offered tablets. On average, two treatments are required per year but vary a lot.
- Side effect. The treatment may cause local and transient side effects. In the treatment of hands a weakness of the forceps can be experienced for a couple of weeks, or, during treatment of the forehead, a transient stiffness.